Mm-kay, so, I haven't actually tested this pattern yet, and don't have time to right now so beware! But I promised it to someone so I am posting it, and I will make one and take pics asap! But until then I can't make any promises! They only ones I made were from a hand drawn pattern, and I didn't take any pics at the time, so if you run into trouble feel free to email me and I will help you out as best as I can. And if you make one and find errors please let me know so I can correct them. I am attaching some (rather crummy) pics of one of my dads so you can see close ups of how it should look.
BTW: I didn't make this one. It's one he purchased.
Cap should fit a 22" head. Seam allowance is 1/2".
- Download and print pattern
- Cut out pattern pieces
- Stitch 4 crown lining pieces together ~ RS together; press seams open & trim
- Stitch 4 crown fabric pieces together ~ RS together; press seams open & trim
- Pin four muslin pieces together and stitch all over them. This will give the brim some stiffness
- Pin the muslin to the WS of the brim fabric piece and baste along the outside edge (the edge that would be farthest from you head)
- Stich brim lining to brim fabric ~ RS together
- Clip curve and turn the brim right side out; press
- Stich 1/4" from the outside edge, then 7/8" in from there, and then another 7/8" in from there
- With RS together and seams matching, stitch crown lining to crown fabric; only stich two crown sections, leave the other two open
- Turn the cap RS out, and with the RS of the crown lining and right side of the brim lining facing each other, baste brim to lining being careful not to catch the crown fabric.
- Flip the brim away from the hat, and press the brim and crown. Also press the seam allowence under for the open side of the crown fabric.
- Pin closed and edge stitch 1/4' all from edge all the way aroung the crown of the cap.
- Stitch another 7/8" away from that stitch line and you are done.
Hope all that makes sense! Like I said email me if there are any problems or questions! I will update asap!