Annoucement: I recently made a biggggg mistake and managed to delete all of my blog photos. I am working to get them all back up asap. Please bear with me, and if you have any questions on tutorials, please feel free to email me and I will try to help you out as best as I can...Thanks!

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Button Up Bolero


I made this adorable button up bolero from Carolina Fair Designs this week.  I was a little nervous about it because when I chose the pattern I didn't read...I do that a lot, and I didn't realize the pattern is intended to be made from fleece.  I should have known since the pattern is only one pattern piece!  Duh!  How am I gonna finish the edges, but I have never sewn a pattern with only one pattern piece so this was new territory for me.


bolero

I had intended to make it from white linen because I thought that would be the perfect little summer cover up for all the little sundresses I have been making Sophie.  Once I downloaded it though, I saw that it is cut from one piece of fleece, and the edges are finished using either a blanket or crochet stitch...no sewing machine required!  Which is completely awesome because I have got tons of fleece sitting around and I can't wait to use it for this pattern, but I mean, we are in Louisiana, smack in the middle of June...I really have no use for a fleece jacket!   




So, not to be deterred, I started experimenting.  I did a blanket stitch on a scrap of linen and I loved how it looked!  Plus, bonus!  The fabric didn't fray!  Then, I remembered I have been wanting to try the shell tuck stitch on my sewing machine, so I tried it a few times and it looked great, so I decided to run with it.  Unfortunately, my shell tuck stitching skills need some work.  The edges of my fabric came out all stringy on most of it.  Not nearly as nice as they did when I blanket stitched them!  BTW:  This pic is after I ran my fingers over the edge of the fabric multiple times and ruffled it up quite a bit, so if you want to try the blanket stitching it works beautifully!

I ended up trimming the little hairs that where sticking out from the edges of the jacket and I came out really adorable...    


How sassy is she?!?



Ian decided he wanted to be in on this photo shoot.  He usually runs from me when I take the camera out!




I really enjoyed making this jacket.  The instructions are great.  The only complaint I have is that I wish it included a button hole guide for those of us (ehem, me) who are lazy and want to use their sewing machine for the button holes because it is difficult to figure out where they should start when you are doing it on a machine.  Other than that, I though it was a great pattern.  Very creative and super adorable! 


Sophie just loves all the buttons!


If I could do it over, I would have done the blanket stitch by hand or just cut two pattern pieces the next size up and sewed them together with a narrow seam allowance, leaving an opening in the bottom to turn it RS out.  Then, edge stitched all the way around before adding the button holes.  Either way would have looked better with the linen, but like I said,  in the end it turned out great.


I just had to clip a million little hairs off!  lol


I can't wait to make the fleece versions!  I've got ivory, olive, and light pink just waiting for this pattern.  Won't that be adorable!!!

And don't forget to enter the pattern giveaway from Carolina Fair Designs! 



Linked to:


      



    Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!    
HookingupwithHoH    Somewhat Simple   Party Button


    make it wear it    




Photobucket    sew many ways


UndertheTableandDreaming  Making   






               

        Todays Creative Blog        Dragonfly Designs    CreativeShareWednesdays   

NightOwlCrafting    Creations by Kara       

9 comments:

sweet fashion affairs said...

Super-cute:)

www.cardiganpumpkin.blogspot.com

Shauna@shwinandshwin said...

That is way cute! SHe does have so much sass! Love it!

Suze said...

This is so cute...Love it!

AllieMakes! said...

Super cute! Great job! Your models are adorable!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks again for linking to bacon time.

Very cute.

Jill said...

I love this jacket! I often check out your posts on sew mama sew - you really do make some lovely things!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Jill said...

Thanks so much for coming and linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Angela Toucan said...

wonderfully little jacket. welldone

Homemade Heather said...

So cute! LOVE the glasses lol! Featured on Facebook! Thanks for linking up!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you. I read and apprieciate each of your comments. Please make sure your email is enabled so that I can respond to your comments. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...