Annoucement: I recently made a biggggg mistake and managed to delete all of my blog photos. I am working to get them all back up asap. Please bear with me, and if you have any questions on tutorials, please feel free to email me and I will try to help you out as best as I can...Thanks!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yummy Homemade Ice Cream Cake

I posted it a while back, but since it's summer and I just made one for B's b-day party and it's delicious and I can't stop eating the leftovers I figured it was worth reposting...
Homemade Cars Ice Cream Birthday Cake

I made this cake for Ian's 3rd birthday. 

I got most of the decorating ideas on Coolest Homemade CakesAnd I submitted it to the site after Ian's party. 
Go check it out they have some really amazing ideas!
You can find my cake here.
 
Here's how I made it.  Let me know if you have any questions. 
First, I baked a  dark chocolate cake in a Wilton 12" x 18" cake pan (roughly 32 mins @ 325) After it cooled, I put it in the freezer, while my ice cream softened in the fridge, for 30 minutes. I then spread two half gallon cartons of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake and put it back in the freezer to harden. In the meantime, I mixed together a large contatiner of whipped cream, 2 boxes of chocolate pudding, hot fudge topping and crushed up oreo cookies. I had found the recipe here but changed the proportions a bit.
I then iced the cake with whipped cream and let it harden. I used crushed up vanilla wafers for the sand, with a few chocolate teddy grahams thrown in to give it some color variation and make it look like real sand.
I printed a giant "3", cut it out and used it as a stencil for the number on the cake and a strip of cardstock as a stencil for the road. Once the cake was covered with its sand-like coating, I removed the stencils and used crushed oreos to fill in the road and the number "3". I dyed grated coconut green by tossing it in a ziploc bag with green food coloring and filled in the blank corner.
I then printed signs on cardstock off the computer and used Ian's toy cars to decorate. He loved it and I had a great time doing it. The frozen coconut was a surprise hit with the kids. They loved it.♥

2 comments:

jamie w said...

That is so cool. I think I'm going to have to try this sometime.

Rachel said...

Great cake! My son is a huge Cars fan too. I can't wait for the new movie to come out and surprise him by taking him to it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you. I read and apprieciate each of your comments. Please make sure your email is enabled so that I can respond to your comments. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...