Annoucement: I recently made a biggggg mistake and managed to delete all of my blog photos. I am working to get them all back up asap. Please bear with me, and if you have any questions on tutorials, please feel free to email me and I will try to help you out as best as I can...Thanks!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

DIY Dishwasher Detergent



I have been dying to try all these DIY cleaners and detergents!  For one thing they are way cheaper than the stuff you buy in the store, and for another, I find that usually the things you make yourself work much better.  So when I finally ran out of dishwasher detergent yesterday, I whipped up a batch using this recipe.

It literally would have taken two minutes...except my borax was all clumped together and I don't own a sifter.  At first I was using a fork to break it up but then, I pulled out my strainer and used it like a cheese grater.  This went much quicker than the fork and didn't leave any little clumps like you can see in the pic above.  When my clumps got too small for me to hold I would leave them in the strainer and once I got a bunch of them, I just smooshed them through using the back of a spoon. Still the whole process took me maybe 15 minutes and that's including cleaning up a huge spill!  

The container I was originally going to store it in was the plastic container that those little detergent packs come in...well, I didn't realize it had a HUGE crack in the bottom!  I could not figure out why I was getting it all over the counter!  I knew I didn't see any flying out while I was smashing the borax   clumps!  Finally I realized what was going on, and my husband had a good laugh at my expense!  He did help me clean it up though, so I let him get away with it! lol

  I didn't actually read how much citric acid/lemon koolaid I would need so I only bought two packs...uh, yeah, you need a little more than that!  Guess next time I'll be actually reading the recipe!  Anyhow, I add in my two packs and figured I would just add some more, but I wondered how well it would clean without it.  I had no choice but to use it as is because as I said earlier, I was completely out of the store bought stuff.  I was so worried it wouldn't clean well then my hubby really would have given me a hard time...he's hugely skeptical of these types of diy things, but I was MAJORLY impressed!  I had a tupperware in there with chili stains and even without the citric acid, it looks brand new and was not greasy at all! 

She also mentions that the detergent doesn't work well if you don't use the lemi-shine...I had bought some but forgot to add it, and I didn't have any spots on my dishes.  I will use it in the future, but just wanted to mention that.  Anyways, I highly recommend her recipe!

It cost about $12 to make, and I got roughly 20 cups of detergent.  You only have to use 1 TBSP per load.  That's 320 loads which translates in about 3 cents per load!  Even if you are using the great value brand it's about 15 cents per load! That's $36 of savings!  Pretty darn good for 5 minutes of work!







Wednesday
  
 
    Dragonfly Designs    CreativeShareWednesdays    

  Creations by Kara       

    







Thursday
 
Photobucketmake it wear it  

 giveaways HookingupwithHoH  

4 comments:

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

Awesome! I was wondering how this stuff worked and now I will give it a try:)

Brooke Anna @ Mommy Does... said...

Now, to find me a jalopy of a dishwasher so I can try this out... haha! Really, though- my mom will be so happy for this recipe :D Thanks for sharing-

Christie said...

Great idea!!! I will have to try it out!!! I'm having a linky party, and would love it if you joined! Here is the link! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party-3 Thanks for sharing!

Gail said...

I am going to try this.
Ps I 've stopped using expensive rinse agents and only use vinegar. Works well

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you. I read and apprieciate each of your comments. Please make sure your email is enabled so that I can respond to your comments. ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...